We recently had an email sent in which asked us to compare IPTV with DTH so we decided to throw a quick article together which describes the differences between these 2 methods to deliver streaming over the internet.
What Is IPTV?
IPTV is a way in which television programs are sent across the internet to your streaming device using IP multicasting with Internet Group Management Protocol for IPv4-based live television and content.
This allows you to watch live TV broadcasts or other types of broadcasting from a set-top box or a streaming device easily using just your home broadband.
What Is DTH?
DTH stands for Direct To Home and is a method in which live TV broadcasts are sent over satellite connection to your home where you will receive the live broadcasts using a satellite dish attached to your house.
DTH can offer a more interactive way of watching live TV and can also help if don’t have the best internet speeds or are located in an area with poor internet access such as rural areas.
So the main difference between IPTV and DTH is IPTV uses the internet to receive live TV broadcasts whereas DTH uses satellite signals to receive live TV broadcasts.
Disadvantages Of Using IPTV
We will cover some of the disadvantages of using IPTV over using DTH.
- Needs internet access
- Depends on a quality internet line with good internet speed
- Can buffer and cut out depending on many different reasons such as internet dropouts, bandwidth throttling, and more
Disadvantages Of Using DTH (Direct To Home)
Again we will cover the disadvantages of using DTH over IPTV.
- Have to have a satellite system installed in your home
- Needs a bulky satellite box and satellite cables inside your home
- Cant enjoy VOD (Video On Demand) and other bonuses that come with IPTV
- The satellite boxes tend to be closed source and not many apps can be added to them like IPTV streaming devices
- Not plug and play so you can’t really take your satellite box travelling with you like you can with a small IPTV streaming device
- IPTV devices tend to be all-in-one home entertainment devices such as a Nvidia Sheild compared to a satellite box which only decodes satellite signals
We have covered the main differences when it comes to IPTV and DTH and compared to two to help you decide on which live TV method you would like to use when it comes to watching live TV.