So you have just purchased a new smart TV and now it’s time to set it up but you do not have any media sticks to hand to plug in and you asking yourself do you need a TV aerial for your smart TV to work.
Do You Need A TV Aerial For Your Smart TV?
You do not need a TV aerial for your smart TV to work if you have internet as you can join your home’s wifi router and enjoy all the on-demand content and apps your smart TV offers.
What Smart TV Apps Can I Install On A New Smart TV
To get you started you can download and install these apps right onto your smart TV.
- HBO Max
- Amazon Prime Video
- Sling TV
Whether your Smart TV is an LG, Samsung, Philips, Panasonic, Sony, Vizio, Hisense, or TCL, you can quickly and easily install any of the above smart TV apps and enjoy all the content they have to offer without the need for a smart TV.
What Will I Miss Without A TV Aerial Plugged Into My Smart TV?
If you do not have a TV aerial plugged into your smart TV then you won’t be able to watch normal terrestrial TV or digital freeview. So this will be channels such as BBC One (channel 1) and ITV (channel 3).
It helps to have a TV aerial or an indoor digital TV antenna plugged in because if your internet goes down for a short while you won’t be able to watch any live TV through your smart TV until your internet is back working.
You can also check out Freeview Play as this will give you full digital freeview which you can run just off an internet connection from your Smart TV or even on a smartphone such as an Android or iPhone.
Will I Need Fast Internet For My Smart TV If I Don’t Have An Aerial?
Yes, when you do not have an aerial cable plugged in or no indoor TV aerial then you will need to make sure you have a solid internet connection with good speeds as you will be streaming all the content from the likes of BBC iPlayer, Netflix, etc.
What Broadband Speeds Are Needed For Watching Freeview Apps
|Minimum Speed (Mbps)
|Ideal Speed (Mbps)
|Standard Definition (SD)
|Minimum for basic streaming.
|High Definition (HD)
|Good experience with minimal buffering. Allows simultaneous streaming on other devices.
|4K Ultra HD (UHD)
|Uninterrupted playback and optimal picture quality.
- For watching Freeview we recommend a minimum of at least 2 Mbps (megabits per second) for a buffer-free and smooth experience. This has now become the standard for basic streaming of standard definition content (SD).
Higher speeds for better quality and features:
- For high-definition (HD) streaming: You will need a broadband speed of around 5Mbps or ideally 10Mbps as this will allow for a good streaming experience with minimal buffers and freezes when watching streaming apps as well as allow you to stream on other devices at the same time.
- For 4K Ultra HD streaming: If any of your smart TV streaming apps have 4K content you will need a broadband speed of 25 Mbps or higher as this will give you the best experience for uninterrupted playback or streaming and have the best picture quality.
Additional factors to consider:
- Number of users: Depending on the number of people using the same broadband connection in your household this can slow down your internet especially when it comes to streaming. If you have lower internet speeds this can cause your smart TV to buffer and freeze when streaming content.
- Other Internet usage: You must also consider other activities you do on your home internet. This can range from browsing, downloading, online gaming, etc. It’s ideal to set download and upload speeds on these over devices or not use them when you are streaming content on your smart TV to keep your bandwidth as freed up as possible.
- Streaming service requirements: You will find that some streaming apps you use will have different bandwidth speed recommendations for their minimum speeds so it’s always best to check their website or online to see what these specific speeds are.
Here’s a summary of recommended speeds:
- Minimum: 2 Mbps (SD)
- HD: 5-10 Mbps
- 4K UHD: 25 Mbps+
Remember: The above are just guidelines as your internet speeds can change throughout the day such as internet speeds and bandwidth.
This can be issues such as your internet provider’s congestion level such as in peak times when they may bandwidth throttly your connection. To your actual streaming settings per the Freeview app.
When choosing your internet provider it’s always best to go with as high of a broadband speed as you can, which also fits your budget as this will future-proof your smart TV needs when it comes to streaming live content and on-demand content.
Where To Buy TV Aerials And Digital Freeview Aerials For Your Smart TV
If you don’t already have a Freeview TV aerial connected to the outside of your house then you can always opt for an indoor digital TV aerial. Nowadays these indoor freeview digital aerials have come a long way with their design and also the reach they have with some reaching over 250+ miles as well as supporting HD and 4K televisions.
The best place to find these types of aerials is on Amazon UK and can get them as low as 15GBP delivered to your door. With them being this cheap we always recommend using one or having one spare in your home so you can always plug into your smart TV if your internet goes down.
We have covered everything you need to know about needing a TV aerial for your Smart TV and all the reasons why you should and shouldn’t use one.
If you enjoyed this article be sure to give it a quick share.